Adult Basic Skills (ABS) Program at LaGuardia Community College
LaGuardia Community College is seeking two part-time case managers for its ABS High School Equivalency preparation program for 19 hours per week. This involves some day and evening hours and an occasional Saturday.
Case Manager must be comfortable with addressing barriers that will prevent students from pursuing their goal. Case Manager must work closely with teachers and administrative staff to provide the necessary support for the students in our program. learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach.
We are seeking a qualified case manager who has experience working with adult students. BA/BS degree required in social work or related field, plus a minimum of 2-3 years of experience working with adults as a case manager. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Providing high quality support services to students we serve in the program
- Interviewing prospective students to discuss possible barriers
- Identifying and addressing issues as childcare, housing, family illness, work schedule, time management, finance, and other obstacles preventing students to complete their course
- Communicating with students regarding absenteeism
- Motivating students to persist and succeed in the program
- Developing and presenting workshops on how to study, test anxiety, time management, financial literacy, etc.
- Assisting students to complete GED applications
- Conferencing students individually on their goals and next steps
- Collaborating with the Career Development Center to assist students in applying to college
- Referrals to appropriate training programs, employment opportunities and/or community agencies
- Participating in professional development and staff meetings
- Other related tasks, as necessary
- Part-time positions 19 hours per week (flexible hours) through June 2023 (with the possibility of extending past June 2023)
Please send resume with a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put “Case Manager” with your name in the subject line.