The CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP) at Borough of Manhattan Community College provides intensive English language instruction to adult immigrants who plan to matriculate in a CUNY college. We are looking for a tutor who will work under the direction of classroom teachers to assist students in all four language domains. Responsibilities may include:
- helping students, one-on-one, to revise their essays for grammar, mechanics, and content
- working with students individually and in groups on reading skills
- honing oral presentation and pronunciation skills
- assisting students with annotation during read-alouds and taking notes during lectures
- assisting students with PowerPoint presentations and word processing skills
Tutors may also be asked to facilitate whole-class instruction and group work, as well as grade student assessments. Applicants must be flexible enough to work with faculty members with a variety of teaching styles. Prior experience working with ESL students and some graduate coursework in TESOL/Applied Linguistics preferred. Good knowledge of grammar instruction, essay structure and writing strategies.
Hours: Able to work during our morning program, 9am to 2:30pm
Pay starts at $16 an hour depending on experience.
Email: cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to Tyshelle Smalls at firstname.lastname@example.org