- Conduct intake & assessments of potential participants.
- Develop individual service plans to ensure success and implementation of the counseling treatment plan, which may include skill development, strategies for addressing personal issues or overcoming obstacles.
- Act as client’s advocate in order to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations; refer clients to community resources or to specialists as necessary (e.g., social services, mental health specialty care, substance abuse treatment), as well as maintain required records and treatment plans.
- Meet with families, probation officers, police, and other interested parties in order to exchange necessary information during the treatment process.
- Assist in the recruitment plan; organize and lead structured programs on life skills, workforce development, study skills, recreation and social activities for clients.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- BSW, MSW or related credential preferred, but not required.
- Two years of experience in individual counseling, leading groups and / or educational workshops.
- Experience working with students, families and/or community, especially those who are low income and/or engaged with government systems (probations, juvenile justice, education, HRA or foster care).
- Familiarity with brief, structured counseling techniques (e.g., Motivational Interviewing, Solution Focused, CBT) with various populations; juvenile justice, probation, foster care.
- Excellent communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Counseling Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
YMCA of Greater New York - Y Roads East New York
Attn: Parvoneh Shirgir
60 Williams Avenue, 5th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11207