Institute for Career Development
123 William Street 5th Floor, New York, NY 10038
Full-Time, Exempt, Union
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Institute for Career Development (ICD) is a fast-growing, dynamic not-for-profit workforce development organization based in New York City. For over 100 years, ICD has been a leader in the field of vocational rehabilitation, helping people with disabilities and challenges or barriers to employment transform their lives through career development and employment. Every year, ICD’s services put over 1,200 people on a path to career success. ICD’s 20+ member team helps adults, youth, Veterans, entry-level employees, and career changers with disabilities gain economic independence through specialized career planning and evaluation, certified training programs, placement services for job seekers, and providing talent acquisition expertise to employers. Building on the organization’s program success in the five boroughs of New York City, ICD aims to increase its social impact through ongoing collaborations, advocacy, and innovative practices.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
ICD seeks a dynamic Custodial Instructor with a track record of success. The selected candidate will teach our Custodial training program, which provides individuals with disabilities with the skills needed for entry-level employment in the janitorial maintenance field. Using appropriate industry methods, topics covered in the curriculum include: cleaning restrooms and office space; carpet cleaning/shampooing; window cleaning; cleaning building exteriors; marble and granite polishing; recycling; and working with floor machines while stripping, sealing, and finishing floors. The instructor will also provide and ensure basic safety instruction for all tasks, including OSHA requirements for Blood Borne Pathogens, Universal Precautions, and Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Using a structured and approved curriculum, conduct technical training to prepare students for entry to mid-level jobs. Class size is approximately 15-20 students.
- Conduct a highly interactive, hands-on style of teaching and facilitation in a formal classroom setting, from Monday to Friday; as well as facilitate a structured online learning platform for assignments, tests, and real-time performance monitoring.
- Lead and facilitate students on their independent projects and online learning, including keeping content current and relevant as well as creating additional coursework, if required.
- Managing Student Performance
- Provide students with ongoing feedback, conferencing, and performance appraisals. Recognize any challenges early and work with the team and students to overcome them
- Prepare student evaluations individually and in conjunction with the rest of the program team, consisting of Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors and Job Developers
- Participate in all required student progress meetings with other members of the above program team; and monitor and hold students accountable to the ICD’s enrollment agreement
- Participate in all team meetings
- Conduct real-time student data entry in organizational database
- Prepare progress notes and other program monitoring reports
- Other duties as required
WORK DEMANDS & ENVIRONMENT:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with strong attention to detail
- Active listener with the ability to build rapport with diverse learners
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate blended learning training models (i.e., classroom facilitation, web-based instruction; student self-directed learning, etc.)
- Commitment to the mission of ICD and a passion for teaching others
- Ability to use creativity and enthusiasm to motivate people and tailor learning activities to meet group and individual needs
- Good record-keeping skills to accurately track attendance, program participation, and other data
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to continuous changes in the curriculum and program
- Staying current in trends in the industry as they impact the class and coursework
- Professional, motivational and teamwork-oriented environment
- Technical instruction skills and technical leadership capability
- Travel within the metropolitan area is required on a regular basis for face-to-face meetings at ACCES-VR offices and/or with potential partners
- Able to lift 20 pounds
- Five (5) or more years of verifiable experience in the building cleaning maintenance field is required; and minimum 2-3 years of teaching experience and facilitation of training to young adults and adults
- Functional knowledge of lesson plan development, classroom management and basic teaching methods for adults. Ability to teach in a highly interactive and hands-on style, and to analyze and synthesize technical information
- Strong knowledge in at least 4 of the following subjects: Building Procedures and Safety; Restroom and Office cleaning, Carpet cleaning and shampooing, Interior and Exterior building cleaning as well as recycling, working with floor maintenance machines and window cleaning
- Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; Must be able to learn the use of Smart Board technology
- Familiarity with Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR), including the implementation of ACCES-VR contracts
High School or Equivalency diploma; College Degree a plus
New York State Education Department Licensed Private School Teacher, or Eligible (must apply for permit/license within 30 days of start and get approval from NYSED-BPSS). OSHA, EPA certifications preferred
A comprehensive benefits package including health and dental insurance, AFLAC, 401k, and generous paid time off, among others. As this is a union position, health and dental insurance is paid for in full by the organization subject to certain eligibility requirements.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with a subject of “Custodial Instructor” and where you found the position listed.
ICD - Institute for Career Development is an advocate for diversity in the workplace. All candidates will benefit from equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to: race; color; age; religion; pregnancy; sex; sexual orientation; disability; gender identity; gender expression; national origin; genetic information; Veteran status; marital status; or prior protected activity.
ICD complies with all applicable federal, state, and city employment laws.