Within the larger scope of formal and informal learning of the Programs & Services Department (PSD) and reporting to the Vice President of Programs and Services, the Director of Adult Learning develops, leads, manages and coordinates all aspects of formal and informal learning programs and services for adults and young adults delivered by Queens Public Library (QPL). The Director of Adult Learning’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the supervision of five areas providing adult literacy programs including ESOL; Adult Basic Education and High School Equivalency instruction; Digital Inclusion and technology training initiatives; Career Pathways and Entrepreneurial training and services; and programs and services to meet the needs of new immigrants.
The Director assists library leadership in articulating the Library’s vision for success in serving the varied and changing educational needs of our customers. The Director is responsible for ensuring that Queens Public Library continues to be a national leader in the provision of adult education. In collaboration with staff, Vice President of PSD and Chief Librarian the Director of Adult Learning:
- Creates comprehensive service plans and strategic initiatives to enhance and expand adult learning opportunities system wide.
- Identifies new programmatic needs and funding opportunities.
- Assists in preparing grant requests and contracts as needed.
- Oversees major grant funded initiatives, ensuring the library’s full compliance with all aspects of the grants including service goals, procurement and budgetary requirements.
- Serves as the primary programmatic liaison to all funders.
- Creates, oversees, and monitors Adult Learning’s operating, government grants, and private funding budgets to ensure equitable and effective services across the five areas.
- Ensures that all staff are using provided tools to track and assess program effectiveness including:
- Creation of individual service strategies.
- Documentation of case notes and interactions.
- Tracking and assessment of individual participants’ progress.
- Tracking internal and external referrals.
- Anticipates program related and financial problems. Reports these issues to the Vice President in a timely manner.
- Represents Queens Public Library at meetings of NYC, NYS, Federal and international literacy and workforce providers at conferences and interagency meetings.
- Maintains effective programmatic partnerships and referral networks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Director is responsible for recruiting, training, mentoring, managing, providing appropriate professional development to, and assessing the performance of a large and diverse staff of full-time and part-time professionals and paraprofessionals at locations throughout Queens. The Director works with other Library departments to:
- Locate or relocate program staff and other materials in a timely manner.
- Ensure that customers have adequate space and environmental supports needed to pursue their learning activities.
- Perform regular site visits.
- Ensure compliance with library policies, procedures and best practices.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution in Education, Adult Education or a related field required.
- At least 7 years of experience managing adult learning services required. Experience in a nonprofit work environment preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience designing, developing, implementing, and sustaining large-scale educational programs required.
- Experienced with the implementation and management of complex government and private grants required.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to work with diverse populations and possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with and developing new trends in adult learning instruction.
- Must have experience in managing and supervising staff.
- Excellent organizational skills required. Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Understanding of and experience in preparing financial/budget reports.
- Must have intermediate knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel; experience with other MS Office applications preferred.
- Experience working in a library setting is preferred.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Director of Adult Learning - EXTERNAL” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer