The class may be located at either our Education Center or at a local elementary school; flexibility, aptitude for working with multiple partners, and excellent communication skills are required. Will require passing DOE fingerprinting background check.
Teachers are responsible for a class of 15-20 students and must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach. While the Education Center has an overall set of class standards, teachers are responsible for creating her/his own curriculum and lesson plans. Teachers work closely with counselors and administrative staff to provide 360 degree service to students. Part-time are encouraged and paid to attend staff meetings and trainings as needed.
Turning Point's Education Center is a community-based program in Sunset Park (Brooklyn) offering free ESOL, ABE, and HSE classes, as well as support services. Our qualified staff is committed to creating a holistic learning community where students develop the skills to reach their goals. Peer support, student-centered learning, and critical thinking are central to the program. All classes are college-bound and career-bound.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide quality instruction in a learner-centered classroom
- Develop meaningful curricula and stimulating lesson plans based on student needs, including citizenship preparation, job readiness, and civic engagement skills
- Guide students in setting goals and developing realistic effective plans for achieving them
- Monitor student progress and conduct end-of-term conferences to assess and share progress with students
- Conduct post-assessments through Best Plus and Best Literacy, and other necessary assessments
- Maintain roll books and regular attendance records of students, in addition to other class-related administrative tasks when necessary
- Maintain up-to-date certification in Best Plus testing
- Foster student leadership in the classroom
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and staff development sessions.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in the fields relevant to the work of the Educational Center, represent its work at professional networks and meetings, and advance the work and reputation of the Educational Center in the professional community, and city/state/nation-wide arenas.
- Integrate Educational Center's mission statement into curriculum and classroom
- Coordinate special events in the classroom to connect the students with the community at large
- Attend professional development workshops and trainings.
- Coordinate with other parts of the Turning Point agency
- Expose students to meaningful out-of-classroom experiences ("learning on foot")
Education and Certification
Candidate must have Bachelor's degree and at least 3 years experience. Masters Degree and 4+ years experience a plus.
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Self-starter and independent worker
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to communicate with diverse population
- Work in a learner-centered teaching environment that emphasizes holistic learning
- Ability to adapt to evolving and changing agency
- Familiarity with and commitment to learner-centered philosophy
- Knowledge of authentic assessment
- Google App, Internet skills, and willingness to learn more computer skills as required
- Commitment to developing innovative teaching methods
Candidates should email a resume, brief cover letter, and salary range, with "ESOL Evening Teacher" in the subject line, to: email@example.com