JEWISH COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF GREATER CONEY ISLAND, Inc
The Lead Teacher – Curriculum Developer will be responsible for supervising the Adult Literacy teaching staff, develop curriculum and materials that result in the achievement of defined learning objectives and positive learning experience, manage staff development activities, and teach several classes.
This position entails working closely with Students, Instructors, Case Manager/Career Counselor, Program Coordinators/Data Managers, and Program Director to ensure the success of the program
This position includes (but is not limited to) the following responsibilities:
- Develop (Workforce based) ESOL curriculum, presentations, practical applications and technology, in accordance with funders’ curricula requirements.
- Supervise and guide instructors, and assist in their recruitment process.
- Supervise and evaluate teachers’ instruction and testing and serve as a resource to enhance their teaching style.
- Serve as Instructor, per the Job Description of Adult Literacy Teaching Staff.
- Plan and conduct staff training and development sessions for Teaching Staff
- Ensure that all instructional staff (including Lead Teacher - Curriculum Developer) meet the staff development requirements.
- Monitor and assess results of ESOL education throughout students’ training and the pre and post-test period, to ensure that achievements in learning objectives are appropriately attained.
- Assure that Contract compliance and recordkeeping is maintained according to funding source and JCCGCI internal standards
- Participate in meetings and workshops held at the funding sources when deemed necessary or when helpful to the program, and participate in the required staff development workshops.
Qualifications: Bachelors Degree with appropriate training and experience in teaching adult immigrant populations; culturally sensitive to the backgrounds and cultures of program participants; professional individual with good word processing skills; excellent written, communicative and interpersonal skills; accurate data-entry and typing skills; prior experience in curriculum development, staff training and evaluation
Supervision: The Lead Teacher – Curriculum Developer will be supervised by the Program Director of Adult Literacy.
Work Schedule: 35 hours per week. Must be available to work day time and evening hours.
Work Environment: Work will be performed mainly at JCCGCI offices, and includes travel to ESL sites throughout the five boroughs (driving capability preferred).
Language Skills: Ability to read and speak English; Mathematical Skills
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and data entry; basic knowledge of computer networking processes
Physical Demands: Ability to lift 15 pounds
Reasoning Ability: Ability to make determinations of best procedures and practices to attain goals of the position.
Working Conditions: Occasionally called upon to work over schedule or odd schedules (e.g. when outreach is best accomplished after-hours or on weekends).
To apply, resumes should be emailed to both firstname.lastname@example.org and
email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.