- Teach ESL and Cultural Orientation to adult immigrants, refugees and other foreign nationals.
- Prepare lesson plans and materials needed for the class.
- Conduct the NYS Placement Pre-Test on new students and NYS Placement Post-Test on all students.
- Submit test results with recommended class placement and notify students of their respective class placements.
- Prepare alternative assessment tools to evaluate student progress in reading and writing.
- Compile evaluation and portfolio assessment materials at the end of the cycle.
- Prepare roster, update forms and submit them in a timely manner.
- Notify the Program Coordinator and/or Counselor of any changes, transferees or drop-outs among the students.
- Prepare promotion lists, turnaround documents, and other reports required by NAWC Program Standards and/or funding agencies.
- Gather important information from students on a regular basis to assess their achievements and actual outcomes.
- Encourage participation in multicultural activities and exchange among the students and staff.
- Actively participate in staff development activities as provided internally by NAWC and/or the YMCA; or as provided for by funding agencies and other community organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s in TESOL or Education preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of basic teaching techniques, methods and principles of teaching languages.
- Knowledge of preparing lesson plans, syllabus, promotion lists, grant documents and reporting systems.
- Knowledge in conducting the NYS Placement Test and preparing assessment tools.
- Ability to determine the students’ level of English Proficiency.
- Bilingual a plus.
If qualified, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “ESL Instructor” to email@example.com or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn.: Nabila Khan
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE