Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Academic Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
(Or 515 West 182nd St., NY, NY 10033 or 2183 Amsterdam Ave., NY, NY 10032)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 100 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs, and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Instructor is responsible for teaching English to students in NMIC’s adult education program in a way that is dynamic and contextualized for students’ practical use. In addition, the instructor will develop and submit regular lesson logs, write student case notes, provide insight on the existing curriculum and meet professional development requirements. This is a part time role with availability in the mornings (Monday-Friday, 9-1) or evenings (Tuesday-Thursday, 5:40-9).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for students in ESOL programming.
- Administer assessment tests and track results.
- Monitor students’ educational progress and liaise with staff members provide feedback and establish educational plans.
- Complete and submit weekly lesson logs and bimonthly student case notes.
- Maintain attendance records, ensure accuracy of completion and submit them to program staff.
- Attend professional development sessions according to city and state standards.
- Attend and participate in regular program meetings.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing as needed.
- Work with Academic Coordinator to integrate technology into class work.
Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
- BA/BS in relevant subject required; MA in education or TESOL preferred
- Minimum two years of ESOL instructional experience, preferably with adults
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following to Jason Bocko, Academic Coordinator, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (one page or less)
All attachments should be in Word or PDF form. No phone calls, please.