Adult Services Department
English Speakers of Other Languages
Position: ESOL Instructor
Reports to: ESOL coordinator and Adult Services Director
Hours/Schedule: Seeking part time instructors (20 hrs weekly)
Hourly Rate (Based on Experience): $27/hr-$32/hr
Part time: 9:00am-2:00pm Mon-Thur or 5:00pm-9:00pm Mon-Thur or 9:00am-5:00pm Sat
Location: Main Building and/or Early Childhood Site 2 location in Bronx, NY
The ESOL instructor leads morning or evening classes 4 days weekly for a minimum of 5 hours per day.. Part time instructors may teach 2 days weekly. The Instructor’s main role is to screen/test, orient, engage and teach adult English language learners of varying levels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach ESOL through individualized and group instruction techniques
- Screen and enroll prospective students throughout the year as enrollment is ongoing
- Comply with all contract deliverables, including but not limited to: maintaining average daily attendance, completion of Student Individual Service Plans and Progress Notes, classwork, writing samples, and achievement of the required percentage of students show at least one-level improvement at post test.
- Assist students to access computer programs to be used for the class
- Administer BEST Plus pre and post test screening
- Monitor and follow up on student time and attendance
- Complete trainings and certifications as required by the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD)
- Provide task supervision to class assistant/s, including guidance on day to day tasks/priorities, strong collaboration, and proactive communication
- Assist the program coordinator with administrative tasks such as outreach, screening/testing prospective students, enrollment, data entry and special reports/projects as needed
- Plan and implement celebratory events, trips, and advocacy experiences for students.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Covid-19 vaccination required
- TESOL, TESLA, or CELTA Certification required
- Strong computer skills required, including knowledge of Google Suite, Microsoft, and Online platforms such as Google Meets or Zoom.
- Experience with, or ability to learn, data collection software
- BEST Plus Certification must be completed within 1 month of hire date
- Bi-Lingual Spanish required; Experience teaching adults preferred
To apply please send resumes to Alex Martinez firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "ESOL Instructor Position" in the subject line.