POSITION TITLE: ESOL Instructor
DEPARTMENT: ESOL/Adult Literacy
REPORTS TO: ESOL/Adult Literacy Director
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Founded in 1973 as the first community-based social service agency targeting the Korean population, The Korean Community Services of Metropolitan New York, Inc. (KCS) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) multi-social service organization supported by government agencies, foundations, corporations and concerned individuals. The objectives of KCS are to develop and deliver a broad range of social service programs to meet the various needs of the community. In order to achieve these objectives, KCS provides various professional community service programs in the areas of Community, Aging, Workforce Development and Public Health.
ABOUT THE POSITION: KCS is seeking a part-time dynamic individual to instruct and train adult immigrants and New American students within the KCS’ ESOL/Adult Literacy department. Our Adult ESOL Program is funded by New York City – Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and New York State – Office of New Americans (ONA) by contractual agreement. All ESOL instructors will be paid only the instructional hours he/she teaches under the contract requirements.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, preparing and delivering ESOL training to adult immigrant and New American students through the Office for New Americans Opportunity Center or the NYC Department of Youth & Community Development
- Managing classroom paperwork – including student attendance sheets, progress notes, student works, make-up session schedules, etc.
- Assisting the Program Coordinator with student recruitment events
- Working with volunteers and teaching assistants for in-class support and supplemental learning opportunities
- Attending professional development sessions and monthly Literacy Program staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the ESOL/Adult Literacy Director
- Bachelor's degree in Education, English, or related field, with a certificate in TEFL, TESOL,
or related English field or Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 1 year teaching/classroom experience
- BEST Plus Test Administration Certificate preferred
- Experience with the immigrant community and adult students useful
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for more information about KCS, please visit www.kcsny.org.