Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of immigrant and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, Westchester County. With a membership of 24,000, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our communities, including workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant rights and civil rights, TGNCIQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform. (TGNCIQ = transgender, gender non-conforming, intersex and queer) ). Make the Road New York is in a bargain agreement with National Organization of Legal Services Workers (NOLSW).
MRNY is a multi-service organization. Our member-led organizing committees -- which work on the issues named above -- implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. We also provide an array of high-quality bilingual services: We also provide an array of high-quality bilingual services: We offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation and health job training classes and our adult ed classes integrate digital literacy and case management, and in-school and after-school youth programs. We have a robust legal program that offers direct representation across a spectrum of practice areas, including employment law, immigration law, housing and benefits, and TGNCIQ civil rights; we also take on impact litigation as a strategy for achieving broad change. Our health program offers facilitated enrollment into health insurance programs and SNAP benefits, a community health worker home visit program, nutrition education and emergency food pantries, health care navigation, and more."
MRNY is seeking an ESOL instructor for a class with a Sunday in-person 9:30am-3:30pm schedule for our April-June cycle. The instructor will also support students’ use of a cell based program called Cell Ed for 1.5-2 hrs. week outside of class time. The instructor will also support students’ use of a cell-based program called Cell Ed for 1.5-2 hrs wk outside of class time. The job is for 11 hrs wk: 6 instructional hours, 3 prep hours, an hour for meetings and an hour for contact with students outside of class.
All candidates must be fully vaccinated for Covid. Classes will run until the end of June 2023. Summer work time and fall class hours will be available after that if/as the teacher is interested assuming funding permits.
*In addition to class time, teachers are paid a .5 hrs./prep for every teaching hour, 1 hr. a week to communicate with students outside of class, and 1 hr. a week for meetings with supervisors/other teachers.
Teachers are also paid for occasional required professional development and meeting time and are expected to help with attendance, as well as post testing and re-enrollment at the end of the cycle. Teachers are also supported and paid to write monthly progress notes. (Training on any of the related admin tasks will be provided as well regular support on curricular and student related issues/questions.)
Key Responsibilities but not limited to:
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team;
- Student Assessment- combine BEST Plus initial assessments with original reading and writing assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information, and the need to balance the 4 skills + vocabulary development and grammar skill development
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students every day and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, help with post testing, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, & 1 on 1, team and staff meetings
- Eligible to work in the US
- Full vaccination with an FDA approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to first day of employment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching Certification or Masters in TESOL
- BEST Plus certification (ESOL)
- Strong communication skills
- Enough Spanish to communicate with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Very strong facility with most or all of these: GSuite, Microsoft Office, Zoom
- Commitment to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Be highly professional and team oriented with a passion for excellence and eagerness to help the department meet our goals.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and complete assignments under strict deadlines with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work under pressure required.
- Have a working knowledge of spreadsheets, Microsoft Office suite, and using a database (ideally Salesforce) to run reports.
- Flexible work schedule, some evenings or weekends required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High level of accountability and initiative; needs to be a self-starter and eager to do team work to support the organization as a whole
Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, and personal days for employees working over 20 hours. The hourly range for this position is from $23.56 to $31.90.
How to Apply:
Please attach a cover letter/resume and submit all documents to the Make the Road New York career center.
For external applicants, please click here.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.