Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multiservice agency with a staff of over 100 serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs, integrating numerous crisis intervention services under one roof. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families from crisis to self sufficiency.
Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, and health.
Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
Our Education and Career Services program imparts individual community members with the additional practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: ESOL Teacher
Department: Education and Career Services
Reports to: Educational Coordinator
FLSA Status: P/T Non-Exempt, Evenings & Mornings available
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ESOL Teacher is responsible for teaching English to NMIC participants.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop curriculum for ESOL instruction based on educational and NMIC's ESOL curriculum.
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Administer assessment tests, i.e., BEST Plus, and report results.
- Responsible for monitoring of students' educational progress.
- Complete and submit weekly lesson logs.
- Write and maintain regular participant case notes to document students' educational
- Maintain attendance records and submit daily attendance logs to program staff.
- Attend professional development sessions according to city and state standards
- Attend program meetings as required by supervisor
- Initiate and participate in case conferences, where needed
- BA/BS required, MA strongly preferred.
- TESOL/TEFL certification preferred, but not required.
- BestPlus 2.0 certification preferred, but not required.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; paid time off including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
Please submit the following to Falinia Adkins, Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements
All attachments should be in word or PDF form.
No phone calls, please.