Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of 20,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York https://maketheroadny.org/ is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation, health job training classes and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
Current Opening: MRNY is hiring 1 Part Time evening ESOL teacher to assess students, build community and confidence in the classroom, and then design/organize and deliver ESOL instruction that is level appropriate and thematically relevant to immigrant community residents seeking to improve their English skills and their lives and circumstances.
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team;
- Student Assessment- combine BEST Plus initial assessments with original reading and writing assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information, and the need to balance the 4 skills + vocabulary development and grammar skill development
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students every day and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, help with post testing, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, as well as 1 on 1 support meetings, team and staff meetings
Strongly Preferred: At least 3 yrs. ESOL teaching experience, experience teaching remote classes, experience teaching adults
Requirements: BA, Teaching Certification or Masters in TESOL; experience using Zoom and online platforms; experience working in community based social justice organizations; interest in collaboration and professional development with team members.
Must be creative, organized, and committed to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education; for ESOL classes must be able to speak some Spanish with students outside of class if not occasionally within class; Seeking candidates with senses of humor, good team players, teachers with excellent computer skills and BEST Plus certification (ESOL).
ESOL Teaching Position:
- The teacher will teach T-W-Th evenings 6:15-9:15pm (9 hrs)
- The teacher will be paid for 15 hrs/wk ( 9 teaching hours, 4.5 prep hours, 1-1.5 hrs for meetings with your support person and calls to students). Additionally, occasional meeting hours, trainings, or admin work hours will be added if/as needed. Teachers will have access to materials, copiers, supplies, etc at MRNY as well.
- Level: low/high intermediate ESOL
Length of job: The job will run from early January 2021 to late June 2021. (Employment could be renewed again for the school year starting 8 or 9/21, depending on the teacher’s performance and funding).
Salary Information: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically- elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education.
How to Apply: Applicants should send resumes and cover letters to Adulteducationjobs@maketheroadny.org
Interviews will be held as soon as possible and training/onboarding will begin soon afterward.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.