Make the Road New York is hiring an instructor for an in-person Adult Literacy ESOL class for the Sept-June school year at our Port Richmond, SI office.
We offer paid prep time, meeting time, and holiday time, the option of summer work and a strong culture of support and collaboration.
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of over 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York https://maketheroadny.org/ is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation, health job training classes and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
All candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID. Classes will run until the end of June 2023 and summer work time will be available after that if/as teachers are interested.
Office Location: Port Richmond Staten Island
Days of Week: T-W-Th
Time class runs / (hrs): 6-9pm (9 hrs)
type/level of class: ESOL high beginning/low intermediate
Hope to have teachers start on this date: ASAP- class will ideally start 9/13 (or soon after)
Total average Hours of work a week you’ll be paid: 16 hrs/wk
*In addition to class time, teachers are paid a .5 hrs/prep for every teaching hour, 1 hr a week to communicate with students outside of class, and 1 hr a week for meetings with supervisors/other teachers.
Teachers are also paid for occasional required professional development and meeting time and are expected to help with attendance, as well as post testing and re-enrollment at the end of the cycle. Teachers are also supported and paid to write monthly progress notes. (Training on any of the related admin tasks will be provided as well regular support on curricular and student related issues/questions.)
Teachers’ responsibilities include:
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team;
- Student Assessment- combine BEST Plus initial assessments with original reading and writing assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information, and the need to balance the 4 skills + vocabulary development and grammar skill development
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students every day and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, help with post testing, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, as well as 1 on 1 support meetings, team and staff meetings
Strongly Preferred: At least 3 yrs. ESOL teaching experience preferably to adults in community based settings.
- Eligible to work in the US
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching Certification or Masters in TESOL
- BEST Plus certification (ESOL)
- Strong communication skills
- Enough Spanish to communicate with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Very strong facility with most or all of these: GSuite, Microsoft Office, Zoom
- Commitment to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Required by New York City mandate to show vaccination proof
- Interest in collaboration and professional development with team members
- Creativity and dedication
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfort integrating digital literacy tools and activities into classes
- Experience working in immigrant services and/or community-based social justice organizations
- Experience developing original thematic, engaging curricular materials
Salary & Benefits
Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including access to health insurance, & 401K to staff with over 20 hrs a week, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days and paid holidays. The salary range for this position is from $45,099 -$61,859 when the position is FT and the hourly rate is between $25-30/hr, depending on experience.
Please note, MRNY staff are currently working both remotely and in-person through 2022, though this class will be delivered in person. This position will be based at our SI office and will continue to require a mix of remote non instructional work and in person instructional and assessment related work in 2023. Hybrid work schedules for these positions which identify when work will be based in the office and when outside of the office will be created and then adjusted when needed in consultation with the supervisors of those we hire.
How to Apply: Please click here: External Candidates
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.