- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Education Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ESOL Instructor is a part-time position responsible for providing instruction to English classes in the Adult Education division of the Education & Career Services department. NMIC’s ESOL classes focus on practical communication skills alongside developing English language literacy for adult ELLs. Classes will be taught hybrid. This is an in-person position. We offer both morning and evening classes. We offer morning (9-12) and evening (6-9) classes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and facilitate curriculum ESOL classes in alignment with NMIC’s standards.
- Prepare students to take the Best Plus 2.0 exam.
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Collaborate with the rest of the adult education team to develop program wide initiatives.
- Monitor students' engagement and classroom conduct.
- Maintain attendance records and submit attendance logs to program staff.
- Enter biweekly case notes into NMIC database according to funders’ mandates.
- Submit lesson plans weekly
- Administer Best Plus 2.0 (training will be provided).
- Host guest speakers, volunteers and/or alternate programming when needed.
- Maintain an active Google Classroom.
- Utilize technology in the classroom to enrich the educational experience
- Attend professional development sessions and program meetings.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing sessions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required
- MA strongly preferred
- Minimum three years experience in an educational setting required
- Experience teaching multiple ages with various needs
- Experience using technology to enhance learning
- Dedication to creating an inclusive classroom
- Must have superb presentation & classroom presence and be a dynamic instructor
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Bilingual English/Spanish helpful but not required
33$ per hour plus planning time (one hour per class session)
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following to Jason Bocko (He/Him), Academic Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- One Brief Lesson Plan
Please note this position will be in person