As Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 35 Anniversary, we are seeking a High School Equivalency (HSE) Teacher for youth and adult learners to teach all five subjects (Reading, Writing, Social Studies, Math, and Science) to prepare students for the TASC exam. This is a part time position, Monday-Thursday from 11am-2pm, at OBT's Far Rockaway location in Queens, starting February 25, 2019.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
The Adult Education and Literacy Program (AELP) provides classes in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Adult Basic Education (ABE) and HSE preparation for adults ages 19 and above. The AELP incorporates job readiness, college preparation and job placement into its curriculum. The goal of the program is to help adults improve their English language proficiency, enhance literacy skills, obtain HSEs, and obtain or improve employment.
- Responsible for developing and instructing HSE preparation course curriculum that integrates all five content areas prepares students for the TASC exam;
- Assist in administering TABE and TASC Readiness Assessment;
- Report attendance, test scores and outcomes using funder guidelines;
- Must maintain a 75% average daily attendance;
- Maintain a classroom community that is engaging and interactive;
- Monitor student progress, identify internal and external barriers to achievement;
- Routinely meet with individuals to help them identify strengths, challenges, and set realistic goals;
- Provide explicit feedback to students about their educational progress and goals;
- Attend professional development and staff meetings,
- Perform all other appropriate duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and two years HSE teaching experience required, preferably at a non-profit organization; master’s degree in Education preferred. Knowledge of common core basics and TASC exam; knowledge of workforce development recommended; ability to problem solve; excellent organizational and communication skills; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Satisfying and team-oriented work environment
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply go to https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA Enter Position code AJ3UC when prompted.