International Center, Catholic Charities Community Services
Yonkers Office- 204 Hawthorne Avenue
The International Center provides educational programming for immigrants and refugees with the goal of improving learners’ English proficiency and communication skills. The incumbent will develop, design, and deliver thoughtful and effective ESOL classes for day laborers and their families at our office in Yonkers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Course Development and Instruction: In coordination with the Director of Programs, design and deliver in-person 10-week ESOL courses over three semesters each year (September-June) at the beginner and high beginner level. Create thorough and well-developed class curricula focusing on communicative competence for immigrant workers. In line with the current pedagogy, content will be meaningful and relevant to students’ self-sufficiency outside the classroom.
- Manage and Support Students: Work with other Center staff and additional CCCS services to address student needs outside the classroom. Conduct participant intake, assess language proficiency, and identify goals. Provide ongoing support to promote learning, engagement, and retention. Work one-on-one with participants as needed.
- Monitoring and evaluation: track attendance, implement class surveys/needs assessments, and assist with reporting for funders.
- Additional Support: Provide general administrative and program support for the classes including assisting with student registration, pre- and post-testing students using BEST Plus, and maintaining student portfolios and files.
- Professional Development: Attend 14 hours of in-person professional development provided by the Hudson Valley Regional Adult Education Network (RAEN) each contract year.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position and work hours are generally evenings from 7 to 9:30 pm two to three times per week. Weekend hours may be required to meet student needs.
- Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, ESOL or related field; Masters preferred.
- Experience working with multi-level adult ESOL learners in various contexts.
- Experience with online instruction.
- Experience with BEST Plus preferred.
- Previous experience working with students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Experience with community outreach a plus.
Skills, Licenses and/or competencies required:
- Highly motivated and self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy (expertise with Office Suite and Google Drive).
- Ability/willingness to work occasional Saturdays.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Elaine.Roberts@catholiccharitiesny.org