International Center, Catholic Charities Community Services-NY
Job Title: ESOL Instructor – multiple opportunities available
Organization: International Center, Catholic Charities Community Services-NY
Position Type: Paid Independent Contractor
Compensation: $35 per hour
Expected Hours: Dependent on class schedule; 3 to 6 hours per week for 7 weeks, with possibility to renew for fall 10-week session
Summary: The International Center provides educational programming for immigrants and refugees with the goal of improving learners’ English proficiency and communication skills. The incumbent will develop, design, and deliver thoughtful and effective ESOL classes for beginner and/or high beginner students in our community programs. Classes currently meet remotely via Zoom. Classes will be held weekday evenings during the summer session (schedule varies based on program).
Class Schedule: Weekday evenings; exact schedule varies based on program
Dates: Summer: July 12–August 28, 2021 (7 weeks)
Location: Remote via Zoom
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Course Development and Instruction: Design and deliver 7-week ESOL course at the beginner or high beginner level starting in July 2021, with possibility to continue teaching the fall course. Create thorough and well-developed class curricula focusing on communicative competence for immigrant workers. In line with the current pedagogy, content will be meaningful and relevant to students’ self-sufficiency outside the classroom.
- Manage and Support Students: Work with other Center staff and additional CCCS services to address student needs outside the classroom. Assist with student registration, conduct participant intake, assess language proficiency, and identify goals. Provide ongoing support to promote learning, engagement, and retention. Work one-on-one with participants as needed.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: track attendance, implement class surveys/needs assessments, and assist with reporting for funders.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, ESOL or related field; Masters preferred.
- Experience working with multi-level adult ESOL learners in various contexts, including beginners.
- Experience with online instruction.
- Previous experience working with students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Experience with community outreach a plus.
- Highly motivated and self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy (expertise with Zoom video conferencing, Office Suite, and Google Drive).
To apply: email resume to Elaine.email@example.com