Adult English Language and Literacy (AELL) is the direct service provider of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for the New York Public Library. They use professional teachers to offer free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level. Through formal classes in language and literacy, as well as elective offerings such as English conversation and citizenship preparation groups, AELL has taken on the charge to expand ESOL programming in the Library through both in-person and online instruction.
- Working with the Associate Director and the Hub Manager, hourly instructors will:
- Teach ESOL classes that promote English language proficiency for students assessed at NRS levels 1-6
- Follow the prescribed curriculum in a communicative language teaching environment during class-time.
- Instruct adult ESOL students in classes and learning experiences which will lead to the achievement of their educational and personal goals.
- Assist in the managed enrollment process to recruit and maintain students and student records
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Prepare weekly lesson plans for each session based on the curriculum.
Skills Knowledge & Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree required, with training and/or experience in ESOL
- Experience teaching adults both in-person and online
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with a variety of people, in a multicultural setting, involving a variety of team situations
- Experience administering standardized assessments
- Successfully demonstrated knowledge of technology-assisted learning, instructional software, video, audio and distance learning
- Successfully demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Zoom
Instructional hours, plus prep time, with occasional onsite meetings and training required
To apply for Bronx positions, visit:
To apply for Manhattan positions, visit:
To apply for Staten Island positions, visit: