PART-TIME JOB DESCRIPTION
Queens Public Library - Jackson Heights branch is seeking a Part Time ESOL Instructor.
The Queens Public Library at the Jackson Heights Adult Learning Center is a resource center for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and ABE literacy students up to the HSE level. The Center provides free classes with teachers for guided learning. In addition to an extensive collection of books, multimedia audio/visual materials for use in or out of the Center, we also offer basic computer literacy training and small conversation and tutoring groups led by trained volunteers to help improve our students’ English proficiency skills.
Current Opening: Queens Public Library at the Jackson Heights Adult Learning Center would like to hire a Part time ESOL instructor for our in-person classes and/or online classes.
The hired candidate will also be paid for lesson planning, occasional required professional development, and staff meetings. Teachers are expected to help with attendance, as well as registration, post testing and re-enrollment at the end of each cycle. (Training on any of the related admin tasks will be provided as well regular support on curricular and student related issues/questions.)
We need a teacher for these ESOL classes:
High Beginner Tuesday/Thursday 10-1
High Beginner Conversation Online class Tuesday 6-8
****Classes will run until the end of June 2023 and summer classes will be available after that, if and as teachers are interested.
- Lesson Planning : develop unit and lesson plans related materials. Maintain all of that in the Google Classroom and Google drive.
- Student Assessment- conduct BEST Plus initial assessments. Pre-test at the beginning of the cycle and at the end of the cycle (Post-test). If not certified, be willing to attend Best Plus initial training.
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that consider students’ levels and learning styles, use different learning strategies and methods of instruction, balance all four objectives/skills + vocabulary development and grammar skill development.
- Technology - have knowledge in using a variety of platforms for virtual programs, and digital versions of materials for class instruction, as well as provide technical support to students
- Communication with and support of students - Attend to students' needs and make referrals to case managers as needed. Collect a variety of resources to inform or refer students to programs provided by QPL or outside sources.
- Related admin tasks- support the center with student registration, student retention, and contacting students regarding absences, transfers. Other admin needs as needed.
- Professional Development- attend teacher training and staff development webinars provided by QPL as well as external professional development according to funders’ requirements.
- Experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult learners
- Experience teaching classes remotely
- Available to teach one morning and one evening class
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Eligible to work in the US
- Teaching Certification, bachelor's degree or Masters in TESOL
- BEST Plus certification (ESOL)
- Experience using WebEx, and other online platforms
- Experience working in community based social justice organizations
- For ESOL Basic classes must be able to speak some Spanish with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Committed to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Interest in collaboration and professional development with team members
- Must be creative and organized
- Good team players
- Excellent computer skills
How to Apply: Please submit your resumes and cover letters to:
email@example.com and Diana.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put on subject matter: ESOL PT Instructor - QPL-JH-ALC