The Adult ESL Program at the Jewish Community Center of Staten Island seeks professional teachers to offer instruction to adult students in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a beginner through to an intermediate grade level. Classes are offered in person at local public schools. Each class is allotted 6 hours a week or 3 hours per session. Classes are scheduled in the morning from 9 AM to 12 noon or in the evening from 6 PM to 9 PM.
- Working with the Coordinator and the Director, hourly instructors will:
- Teach ESOL classes that promote English language proficiency for students assessed at NRS levels 1-6
- Follow the prescribed curriculum that enables students to learn English in a community of learners
- Assist in the managed enrollment process to maintain student attendance and records
- Maintain daily attendance records and submit weekly and monthly attendance
- Write monthly Progress Notes for each student.
- Be prepare to teach weekly lesson for each session
- Attend department meetings when scheduled
- And other responsibilities as required by the Coordinator
Skills Knowledge & Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred with training and/or experience in teaching ESL to adults
- Experience teaching adults both in-person and online
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with a variety of people, in a multicultural setting.
- Best Plus Certification or willingness to be certified
- Experience using Google Classroom and Zoom
To apply for this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org