Location: Urban Horizons Early Childhood Development Center Early Learn/Head Start
Reports to: Center Director
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks an ESOL/Family Literacy Teacher to join its EarlyLearn/Head Start Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home-based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.
Job Summary: The ESOL Family Literacy program at WHEDco follows the principles of project-based education and observes the strength model of family literacy. We are looking for an ESOL Literacy/Family Literacy teacher to lead a class of a group of 12 adult students whose children attend the Urban Horizons Early Childhood Discovery Center. The classes are held Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. -- October 2019 to May 2020 at 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452.
- Prepares lesson plans that take into account the educational needs of the community and the needs of each individual adult student and that lead to the making of a project.
- Develops activities that are appropriate to adult learners based on their earliest memories of childhood.
- Includes mindfulness exercises and brain exercises in the daily classroom routine.
- Uses community resources and a multicultural approach in planning lesson plans to enrich the educational experience of adult learners.
- Develops plans with the pre-K teachers by which information concerning the child enrolled in our pre-k program can be shared with the parent participating in the ESOL Literacy/Family Literacy program.
- Plans interactive literacy activities between parent and child.
- Master’s degree in ESL or Adult Education preferred
- A bachelor’s degree in ESL/ Adult Education or related field with experience teaching children and adults.