Adult English Language and Literacy (AELL) provides ESOL and adult literacy instruction throughout the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island. While professional teachers facilitate free series-based formal instruction for adult patrons from a 0 to 8th-grade level, AELL also offers informal ESOL programming in less-intensive drop-in sessions. The ESOL Literacy Specialist III contributes to the Library’s informal ESOL program, facilitating staff and volunteer training opportunities, launching programming across the branch library system, and creating pilot instructional offerings while modeling best practices in English instruction.
This position is eligible for a performance based upgrade to $68,963 upon one year of successful performance.
- Create and provide pre-service and in-service training to branch staff and volunteers in programming designed for non-native English speakers, expanding ESOL learning opportunities throughout the Library.
- Innovate and pilot new ESOL Literacy course offerings, which foster language development, civic engagement, digital literacy, and career readiness.
- Develop curricula for new and existing informal offerings for adult ESOL and Literacy students throughout the NYPL system (citizenship, conversation groups, computer-assisted instruction, writing workshops, etc)
- Teach sessions that model the services being developed (lab environment)
- Participate in AELL information sessions and intake process,
- Collect and analyze data for program reporting to assure program goals are carried out.
Required Education, Experience & Skills
Required Education & Certifications
- Master’s Degree in TESOL, Education, Linguistics, or a related field
- Three years of professional development and supervision skills within an educational setting
- Three years of successfully demonstrated experience teaching ESOL/literacy to adults at a basic literacy level who have limited English proficiency (LEP)
- Successfully demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Zoom
- Successfully demonstrated knowledge of technology-assisted learning, instructional software, video, audio and distance learning.
- Lesson plan creation using a backward design approach
- Successfully demonstrated knowledge of current theory and practice in adult education with a focus on language acquisition and literacy development.
- Successfully demonstrated experience facilitating online synchronous ESOL and/or ABE instruction using Zoom or Google Meet
- Successfully demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Demonstrated ability in curriculum creation.
To apply, visit: https://nypl.pinpointhq.com/en/jobs/56781