Academy of Medical & Public Health Services (AMPHS) is a Brooklyn-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating barriers to accessing healthcare for immigrants and other underserved communities in NYC. Every year, we proudly serve and connect more than 10,000 New Yorkers to healthcare systems. For more information, please visit www.amphsonline.org or follow our work at www.facebook.com/AMPHS.NYC.
We are seeking volunteer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instructors to facilitate a summer conversation group for Beginner to High Beginner students and/or a Computer Skills class for Beginner and Intermediate learners. Volunteers will be working with immigrant populations primarily from the Latino, Chinese, and Arabic communities of Sunset Park, Brooklyn. This is an excellent opportunity for TESOL teacher trainees and recent graduates from TESOL certification programs looking to gain hands-on teaching experience and get regular feedback from an experienced teacher trainer. Volunteers report directly to the Manager of Community Education. All classes will take place remotely.
- Provide instruction online using Zoom
- Prepare lesson plans in advance of each class
- Prepare and distribute instructional materials for classroom/homework use
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Manage the classroom effectively to maximize student learning
- Customize instructional materials to create high quality lesson plans using an integrated and relevant, student-driven curriculum
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) required; TESOL certificate preferred
- Appropriate reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in English
- Ability to provide services in a manner sensitive to the backgrounds and cultures of program participants
- Language skills
- Computer skills instructors must speak Spanish and/or Mandarin
- Spanish and Mandarin fluency is preferred, but not required for conversation group leaders
- This is a part time volunteer position and begins in early to mid-July and ends on August 30th, 2021. There are possibilities for extension beyond this date.
- Each class requires 4 hours of instructional time per week, divided into two days
- Volunteer may elect to teach more than one class
Why Volunteer at AMPHS
- You will gain a hands-on practical experience working with English language learners
- You will have opportunities to participate in in-house professional development workshops
- You will receive guidance and feedback from an experienced teacher trainer
Please submit a copy of your cover letter, resume, and certifications (if applicable) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-serve basis.