Position Title: Part-Time ESOL/ABE/Pre-HSE/HSE Teachers
Hiring Wage: $38-S40 per/hour
These part-time positions will provide instruction to our ESOL/ABE/Pre-HSE/HSE students at Queens Public Library’s (QPL) Long Island City / Adult Learning Center (LIC/ALC). The teacher will also provide educational guidance to students to ensure the quality of instruction, effective programming, and adequate documentation towards positive educational gain, per government and private foundation contractual requirements. Duties will include assisting in all aspects of lesson planning and teaching the above classes/students utilizing QPL’s Community Learning Program (CLP)-approved curricula and prescribed teaching methodology, including answering student inquiries and providing them instructional support. Also, including assisting LIC/ALC staff and volunteers during registration, pre-and post-testing, and data collection as it relates to class attendance and students’ educational goals & outcomes, as well as helping to track inventory including textbooks, BEST Plus & BEST Literacy test materials. Lastly, duties will include working with Lead Instructors to review and revise curricula and lesson plans prior to each semester, attending internal staff development training/meetings, and external conferences/training, as necessary. Perform other duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applies content knowledge and expertise in teaching to drive participant progress and outcomes.
- Designs and implements lesson plans that ensure students make measurable skills gains.
- Administers BEST Plus, Best Literacy, TABE, TASC Readiness, and other applicable testing instruments to assess participants’ measurable skills gains.
- Refines lessons learned from professional development workshops to develop recommendations for students.
- Collaborates with the administration to create lesson plans/curricula that allow for flexibility and encourage experimentation/innovation and digital literacy within the overall structure.
- Facilitates the distribution of information gained through meetings and observations.
- Leverages best practices in Adult Education principles and instruction to build upon the current curriculum.
- Recommends appropriate materials and resources to participants, and provides access to computer-assisted instruction.
- Collaborates in reviewing, editing, and revising curricula as needed.
- Manages online communications and online support with students.
- Establishes a clear pedagogy and set of goals/outcomes that guide the entire students.
- Develops lesson plans sequences for ESOL, ABE, pre-HSE, and HSE resulting in coherent and well-articulated progression across NRS educational levels.
- Outlines framework to informally assess students during the process of achieving program outcomes and objectives.
- Incorporates interdisciplinary approaches within the curricula when appropriate.
- Procures materials, and resources to implement into curricula.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education required. Evidence of mastery and application of adult education principles required.
- Experience with integrating technology into classroom instruction and supplemental learning outside of a classroom setting required.
- Strong facilitation, training, and professional development skills are required.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment required.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, exceptional attention to detail, and be highly organized. Strong written, verbal, and digital communication skills.
- MA in TESOL or related field; also, adult education certification and/or 2-3 years experience teaching adults preferred, as well as TABE and/or BEST Plus/BEST ESOL certification.
- Working knowledge of TASC/GED, TABE Assessment, Best Plus, and Best Literacy preferred.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and reference “ESOL/ABE/Pre-HSE/HSE Teacher” in the subject line.