The Adult Basic Skills/Bridge to College and Careers Department at LaGuardia Community College, LIC, NY, is seeking a part-time instructor to deliver comprehensive high school equivalency instruction for the ABS High School Equivalency Preparation Program: 3 evenings per week.
Salary: $36.64 per hour
The instructor will teach 9 hours per week in the evening from 6-9pm. The instructor will be provided with resources and curriculum outline designed to help nontraditional adult students develop their reading, writing, oral, basic math, and critical thinking skills in preparation for the high school equivalency (TASC) exam, admission to college, or vocational training and/or advancement in the workplace, and will be expected to develop complimenting supporting lessons, materials for differentiating instruction and learning assessments as needed.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Design and deliver High School Equivalency preparation curricula in all subject areas
- Develop and utilize theme-based interdisciplinary adult education curricula
- Incorporate CUNY Framework and Career Kits into the curricula
- Deliver instruction to high school equivalency students enrolled in Adult Basic Skills HSE Program
- Mandatory participation in position-related professional development
- Establish program benchmarks in collaboration with Director
- Implement data collection, entry, and reporting procedures for student assessments, attendance and other areas each semester
- Develop a community of learners in the classroom
- Design a student-centered classroom
- Communicate with students regarding homework, up coming events, test dates, etc.
- Submit Lesson logs weekly
- Utilize assessment tools to assess readiness of students for TASC
- Motivate participants to persist and succeed in the program
- Maintain attendance in the classroom
- Evaluate and conference students on their progress
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree Required. Master’s degree in secondary education, literacy, reading, mathematics, adult education or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience in adult education, secondary or post-secondary education classrooms
- Demonstrated understanding and use of inquiry-based and constructivist pedagogies
- Demonstrated use of interdisciplinary approach to math instruction and literacy instruction
- Familiarity with College and Career Readiness Standards & high school equivalency assessments
- Experience working as a member of a project team or department that includes, but is not limited to: teachers, faculty, support professionals and administrators
- A commitment to supporting college readiness & success for underserved students
- Ability and skill to motivate and lead non-traditional learners to persist and thrive in new collegiate and academic environment
- Experience working with a diverse adult or out-of-school youth student population, preferably in a higher education setting
- Experience using digital learning management systems to complement in class instruction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), learning management system platforms, email, and social media platforms
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter and a sample of a recent lesson or unit plan designed to develop students’ basic literacy and numeracy skills. Applicants should upload the cover letter and work sample as one attachment.
Email to: email@example.com Please put Instructor Position in the subject line.