Location: New York, NY
Temporary Fulltime till June 30, 2018
An HCC ABE teacher is responsible for the implementation of basic education instruction to adult students. Under minimum supervision, the individual will conduct instruction as specified in HCC's adult basic education program curriculum guide. With the assistance of the director, plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the adult student.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Uses a variety of instructional methods and techniques.
- Meets and instructs classes as designated.
- Prepares for all classes assigned.
- Determines the correct entry level of students.
- Evaluates student progress regularly with the intent of improving student performance in accordance with HCC and funding guidelines
- Maintains accurate, complete, and up-to-date records.
- Promotes and regularly monitors class attendance in accordance with HCC policy and funders expectations.
- Intervenes as appropriate with students to discuss and promote class attendance and performance
- Bachelor's degree required or five years of teaching adult education.
- Knowledge of adult student characteristics.
- Knowledge of adult basic education content areas.
- Teaching ability in ABE content areas.
- Sensitivity to and experience working with diverse populations, and experience working with students of varying skill levels.
- Ability to organize data to produce student reports.
- Ability to make decisions concerning student instruction
$32/ hour; 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Monday -Thursday
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: ABE Instructor to: email@example.com
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
If you do not have access to email, mail your cover letter & resume to:
Harlem Commonwealth Council –
361 West 125th Street - New York, New York 10027