The Adult English Language and Literacy department is the direct service provider of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for the New York Public Library. They use professional teachers to offer free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level. Through formal classes in language and literacy, as well as elective offerings in digital literacy, numeracy, and career development, such as English conversation and citizenship preparation groups, and informal conversation programming, AELL is charged with the goal of expanding ESOL and adult literacy instruction in the Library. https://www.nypl.org/events/classes/english
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Hub Manager:
- Provides leadership at a hub, supervision, and professional development needed to ensure existing and new staff have the skills to deliver instruction according to the prescribed curricula.
- Is responsible for the data and reporting necessary to assure program goals are carried out.
- Implements new program initiatives, with a special focus on staff development appropriate for improving English language and literacy proficiency and basic numeracy instruction
- Maintains connections with the Bronx Library Center site staff and leadership
- Contributes to the development of a curriculum scope and sequence, and a training and support plan necessary to insure its implementation
- Schedules classes, teacher schedules, and informal session times
- Works directly with NYPL staff and students, promoting and modeling effective instructional strategies, methods, and materials use, in a collaborative learning environment
Required Education & Experience
- Master's Degree in TESOL, Adult Literacy, Linguistics, English, or other Education related focus
- 5 years experience leading staff development related to teaching and learning strategies that integrate computer-assisted instruction and multimedia into the curriculum
- Demonstrated knowledge of research-based English Language and literacy instruction for adults in the early stages of language acquisition and literacy development in both in-person and online formats.
- Demonstrated experience providing team leadership and supervision
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal standards for student achievement (NRS) and the standardized testing (Best Plus and TABE) necessary to document student gains
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Experience in teaching basic math and knowledge of systematic intensive alphabetics instruction preferred
- Demonstrated experience utilizing databases to track student information and progress
Multilingual candidates preferred (Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, etc)
To apply, go to: https://nypl.pinpointhq.com/en/postings/63e4042e-a802-402e-9a1a-b1b7bc92b3eb