Make the Road New York’s Adult Literacy Department seeks a highly motivated, organized, dedicated and experienced manager to oversee all of the administrative work associated with our ESOL and ABE classes in MRNY’s Brooklyn location, as well as to provide support to MRNY’s Staten Island-based adult literacy staff member(s). The Adult Literacy Manager of Administrative work will support a dynamic Adult literacy program offering English, Citizenship preparation and health career job training classes to immigrant New Yorkers. The position will be based out of MRNY’s office in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
Candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish, and possess very strong computer and administrative skills. We need a trustworthy individual, with the ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours on a cyclical basis. In addition, candidates must be willing to travel occasionally to our Staten Island, and our Queens centers, as needed. Applicants must have at least 2 years previous experience working in an office setting. The ideal candidate must be efficient, communicative, and a team player who is able to multi-task and work well under pressure. They should also be able to meet deadlines as needed, be a fast learner, take initiative and work independently with high quality standards. In addition applicants must be able to type at least 35 wpm, and demonstrate strong proficiency with Google drive and Microsoft Office suite programs, as well as experience working with data entry in databases.
Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Training and management of administrative assistants and volunteers supporting MRNY’s Adult Literacy team’s admin work
- Scheduling intake appointments for students and re-enrolling students in additional cycles
- Pre and post testing of students using a variety of testing programs
- Scheduling and managing outreach as well as enrollment of students in classes
- Managing class attendance – entering information in MRNY’s database and tracking docs, calling absent students
- Updating student records in MRNY’s database as needed
- Reviewing students’ records
- Communicating via phone, email, etc. with team members and across the organization as needed to keep work moving smoothly
- As needed: photocopying, faxing, filing, typing, updating waiting lists, and assisting staff with any other job requests.
- Attending trainings and meetings, including regular support meetings with supervisees and supervisor and mtgs with other admin team members
Compensation: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interviews will likely be held on August 10th. Persons of color, women, LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We will only contact those we wish to interview.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQ, and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without Discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status.