The Lehman College Adult Learning Center (ALC) is a teacher-led direct-service project of the Institute for Literacy Studies (ILS). Our shared mission—advancing urban education—has deep significance for the schools, colleges, and community-based settings in our home borough of the Bronx. Four interrelated core values inspire and infuse our work: commitments to human capacity, social justice, the power of democratic communities, and transformative work for all persons.
We provide thoughtful, innovative instruction, individualized counseling, and a nurturing environment for learners aged 16 and older. Students enter our program with the hope that the ALC’s key programs comprising free classes for Adult Basic Education (ABE), High School Equivalency (HSE), and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), including career and college readiness, can provide them with a meaningful pathway toward qualitatively better lives and economic self-sufficiency. Our classes embed adult learning in real-life contexts to ensure that everyone who comes through our door has the skills to get a foothold and compete in the modern workplace.
The Lehman College Adult Learning Center is seeking a dynamic part-time ABE/HSE Math teacher to work with a diverse group of adult learners. The class meets for two sessions a week.
Essential duties include:
- Providing high-quality instruction to help students develop their conceptual understanding and math skills
- Designing engaging lessons to help students foster an appreciation of math
- Collaborating with staff and teachers to develop best teaching practices and enriching materials
- Reviewing and communicating class progress with both staff and students
- Actively partaking in teacher meetings and citywide professional development
- Maintaining class attendance and submitting in a timely manner
- Participating in program-wide events and activities
- Conducting required assessments and exams
- Having a willingness to learn and become part of the ALC community of teachers and learners
Candidate must have Bachelor's degree and relevant teaching and education experience. Experience with online and in-person teaching preferred. Prior adult education experience, Master’s Degree a plus.
Pay Range: $37.00-$37.00
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Research Foundation of the City University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities Act/E-Verify Employer. It is the policy of the Research Foundation of CUNY to provide equal employment opportunities free of discrimination based on race, color, age, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record, criminal conviction history, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
To apply go here: https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=LE-2307-005744