REPORTS TO: Director of Student Experience
LOCATION: 123 William Street 5th Floor, New York, NY 10038
POSITION TYPE: Part-Time, Non-Exempt*
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 1:00pm-4:00pm
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
*ICD is also hiring a part-time Pre-HSE Numeracy Instructor. If a single candidate has the expertise and experience to teach both literacy and numeracy, a full-time position would be considered.
The Institute for Career Development (ICD) is a long-established, highly regarded nonprofit workforce development organization based in New York City. ICD helps youth and adults with disabilities transform their lives through no-cost career assessment, coaching, training, and placement services. Our vision is a world where all people feel welcome, included, and valued in the workplace.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
ICD seeks a dynamic Pre-HSE Numeracy Instructor with a track record of success to lead a new and innovative program for youth with disabilities to help them achieve their HSE (high school equivalency) diploma. The instructor will teach Pre-HSE/Numeracy classes, focusing on literacy components needed to pass New York State’s high school equivalency test, the General Educational Development (formerly TASC). The instructor must have a proven track record in literacy instruction, and will be expected to develop and then assess and measure student progress on a high school equivalency curriculum adapted for students with disabilities.
The Pre-HSE Numeracy Instructor is responsible for instruction in Math and Science in a way that is contextualized and meaningful for students with disabilities. The instructor will work very closely with the Pre-HSE Literacy Instructor. Instruction will be provided in-person with students simultaneously participating remotely. In addition, the instructor will develop and submit regular lesson logs, write student case notes, provide insight on the existing curriculum, and meet professional development requirements. Consideration will be given to candidates with experience working with youth with disabilities at the 6-9th grade math level.
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for students on math and science tops for ABE/HSE student in participating both in-person and simultaneous remote instruction - - approximately 3 months per cohort at 15 hours per week.
- Adjust instruction according to the various learning styles of program participants, while maintain a safe and collaborative learning environment. Specifically, provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all students.
- Instruct in the program in a manner that supports student retention and daily attendance consistent while assisting students in meeting their education goals. These duties will include the following:
- Select, score, and interpret TABE exam
- Deliver appropriate HSE instruction
- Responsible for maintaining 75% average daily attendance
- Consult with other staff to develop and maintain the student’s educational and employment plan.
- Report attendance, test scores, and outcomes on a regular basis
- Work with the Director of Student Experience to integrate technology into class work. Specifically, actively maintain a digital classroom using either Google Classroom or a similar program to upload class recordings and assign/provide feedback on class and homework within a timely manner.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing as needed.
Managing Student Performance
- Provide students with ongoing feedback, conferencing, and performance appraisals. Recognize any challenges early and work with the team and students to overcome them.
- Prepare student evaluations individually and in conjunction with the rest of the program team, consisting of Vocational Rehabilitation & Youth Counselor and Youth Employment Specialist.
- Administer the Test of Adult Basic Education exam and track results (training will be provided).
- Continually assess student progress toward mastery of standards and keep students and the Director of Student Experience well informed of student progress by collecting and tracking data, providing daily feedback and weekly assessments.
- Monitor students’ performance and attendance for required reporting systems.
- Participate in required team meetings and professional development sessions.
- Prepare progress notes and other program monitoring reports.
- Complete and submit weekly lesson logs and bimonthly student case notes.
- Maintain attendance records, ensure accuracy of completion, and submit them in a timely manner.
- Provide information on testing centers
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATE/LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Education preferred.
- Two (2) years teaching experience in numeracy required. Preference will be given for licensed teachers and qualified candidates with HSE teaching experience.
- Knowledge of Pre-HSE and HSE curriculum and NYS HSE testing requirements.
- Ability to teach all subject areas (reading, math, science, social studies, and writing) preferred.
- Functional knowledge of lesson plan development, classroom management and basic teaching methods for adults. Ability to teach in a highly interactive and hands-on style, and to analyze and synthesize technical information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including use of Word and Excel, interested and able to learn Smart Board technology.
- Ability to conduct lessons virtually, if required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to assess differences in learning styles and capitalize on student strengths. And commitment to incorporating innovative teaching methods.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS: None required, Spanish or ASL helpful
Please email resume and cover letter to HR@icdnyc.org with a subject of “Pre-HSE Numeracy Instructor” and where you found the position listed.
ICD offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and dental insurance, AFLAC, 401k, and generous paid time off, among others. As this is a union position, health and dental insurance is paid for in full by the organization subject to certain eligibility requirements.
The Institute for Career Development is an advocate for diversity in the workplace. All candidates will benefit from equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race; color; age; religion; pregnancy; sex; sexual orientation; disability; gender identity; gender expression; national origin; genetic information; Veteran status; marital status; or prior protected activity.
ICD complies with all applicable federal, state, and city employment laws.