Department Overview: Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Opportunity Youth, Adult Workforce is comprised of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. Opportunity Youth provides career pathway for opportunity youth through a continuum of services including literacy and math instruction, HSE test preparation, work readiness training, college and career exploration, paid work experience, advanced occupational training and industry credential attainment. Our programs supports opportunity youth at any educational level, providing on-ramps at various levels through three program components, each supported by case management and wrap-around services.
Position Details: Commonpoint Queens is seeking to hire a Coordinator of Education who will provide guidance management and support to the Education department in Opportunity Youth. The goal is to create programming that will support educational gains and cohort mobility culminating on timely HSE graduation. The coordinator has vast experience working with Adult literacy, practicing differentiated and blended learning, test prepping, and managing educational administrative projects involving, student records, Diploma attainments and Diploma testing opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Coordinator will:
- Lead and supervise Pre-HSE, HSE, and Career Readiness Instructors in curriculum development and lesson planning targeted to the young adult/opportunity youth population.
- Assist with GED applications, including Age Eligibility Forms, Attachment-R forms, and GED Works Registration.
- Develop curricula on areas including but not limited to: HSE, Pre-HSE, TABE and GED test preparation.
- Develop contextualized curriculums, e-learning lessons, blended learning, distance learning, and online instructional tools.
- Responsible for cohort outcomes and mobility: HSE diploma achievement, literacy and math level gains, consistent attendance, retention, and engagement.
- Develop and manage supplemental academic assessments, programmatic reports, and student service plans to ensure student success.
- Collaborating with support staff to meet participation and retention goals.
- Develop and implement instructor training, provide educational and professional development opportunities.
- Instruct classes in Career Readiness, Pre-HSE, and HSE when needed.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of PreHSE and HSE participants
- Develop workshops, partnerships, and field trips to enhance academic learning and cooperation.
- Represent the agency and participate in funding programmatic meetings, as well as attend staff and agency meetings and initiatives.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Masters degree in Education or related field required, teaching license in Secondary Education grades 6-12, Bilingual Extension preferred.
- 3+ years successful experience providing literacy and/or numeracy instruction and selecting/adapting curricula resources for opportunity youth and managing performance based contracts.
- 3+ years of experience supervising instructional staff.
- Highly experienced with Young Adult Education and program administration, including NY State Ed initiatives.
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds. Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
To apply: send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule - Monday-Friday 9am-5pm with flexibility for occasional weekends/evenings