Make the Road New York (www.maketheroadny.org) is a non-profit organization that builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. We have 23,000 members and operate community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and Westchester.
MRNY’s Adult Literacy Department seeks two highly motivated, organized, dedicated, and responsible temp/part-time Adult Literacy Administrative Program Assistants to support the adult literacy program with administrative work during a number of high intensity weeks over the course of every school year.
We need individuals willing to work flexible hours on and off throughout the entire year.
During the work weeks, temporary staff will work around 15-25 hours a week, more or less, depending on need.
These are the windows of time during the year when temporary staff need to be available to work:
Temp/part time staff need to be available to work primarily in the later afternoons and evenings and/or weekends during most of all these intense administrative work weeks.
The Program Assistant will, among other things:
- Book intake appointments for classes
- Test students’ English language skills using Best Plus software
- Enroll & re-enroll students in classes
- Enter student and program data into Salesforce
- Communicate with other staff including teachers and volunteers
- Review students’ records & email staff with different requests
- Help fill out any forms needed, answer and make phones calls, & do photocopying, faxing, filing, typing, & updating of waiting lists
- Attend trainings and meetings as needed
- Complete other tasks, as needed, to support the department
- fully bilingual in English and Spanish (spoken and written), and comfortable conducting outreach, intake, and phone calls in Spanish
- available to provide support in Staten Island
- efficient, communicative, a team player who works well under pressure and a a fast learner who takes initiative and works independently and maintains high standards
- An Associate’s Degree in Business Administration or other relevant subject or at least a High School degree or HSE with at least 2 years previous experience working in an office setting.
- strong computer and administrative skills
- flexibility and the ability to multi-task.
- the ability to type at least 35 wpm and have demonstrated computer experience in office programs including Salesforce,Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.
How to Apply: Please email résumé and cover letter ASAP to Adultedadminjobs@maketheroadny.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interviews will likely be held the week of September 16th and week of September 23rd
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQ, and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status.