We are seeking an Intergenerational Tutoring Program Coordinator to oversee a intergenerational tutoring program. Working with elementary schools in East Harlem, the Program Coordinator helps to pair older adults with young children with underdeveloped reading and language skills. The adults will serve as tutors and mentors for the students, working with them one-on-one each week. The Program Coordinator is also responsible for all aspects of this program, including recruitment, placement, scheduling, reporting and oversight, and will serve as the liaison with the New York City school system, OASIS and the volunteer tutors.
- Participate in planning sessions, including meetings with OASIS personnel, the Superintendent of New York City Community School District 4, and the principals and teachers in the participating elementary schools.
- Conduct outreach to identify and recruit local residents interested in serving as volunteer tutors.
- Conduct training sessions for the tutors.
- Ensure all tutors are properly screened and are eligible to provide services in the New York City schools.
- Collaborate with school principals and teachers to identify student participants, and to secure permission from parents and guardians for the tutoring sessions.
- Establish a schedule of times and locations for the tutoring sessions.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred; Master’s Degree in related field a plus.
- Significant experience in education, community outreach, and/or program coordination.
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks at the same time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to conduct outreach and make oral presentations.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and dispute resolution skills.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Please indicate Intergenerational Tutoring Program Coordinator in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER