Date Modified: August, 2017
Reports to: Director of Adult Education & Workforce Development
Hours: 40 hours per week, includes 2 late nights & Saturdays while classes are in session
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Position Purpose: Provides program coordination and direct services for the Department including overseeing Saturday ESOL classes sand providing administrative services, and direct services to program participants
About Mercy Center:
Mercy Center is a "haven" in Mott Haven, a community center offering programs and services that empower women and their families to reach their full potential and become agents of change for healthy family living and economic independence. We promote an improved quality of life by addressing the needs of the whole person in a community of respect, hospitality, and non-violence.
- Teach adult education classes (ESOL, Civics, HSE, technology, workforce development), both as an assigned instructor and as a substitute, as needed.
- Responsible for general oversight of Saturday classes on behalf of the Department.
- Assist Program Manager with coordinating teacher schedules, timesheets and general operations for the smooth running of classes. Assist Program manager with recruiting paid and volunteer teachers
- Assist Program Manager in arranging and leading monthly staff development sessions, including sessions on various instruction methods and enriched learning in classroom settings
- Conduct participant intakes, recruitment, and testing
- Provide administrative support for the department, including daily database entry in multiple systems, preparation of records and reports; and maintenance of hard copy and electronic filing systems
- Respond to in-person and telephone inquiries about the department and classes from prospective and current program participants, staff, and the public
- Assist with resolving issues raised by program participants
- Interact with funders as needed; assist with site visits
- Participate in program meetings and trainings
- Participate in Mercy Center staff meetings and other organization-wide meetings and activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- BA/BS degree and a minimum of 4 years in ESOL experience
- Bilingual English/ Spanish or English/French or English/Arabic
- Experience in student intake, recruitment, testing and extensive teaching activities in previous positions
- Excellent computer skills, with knowledge of Capricorn and ETO databases a plus
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and use self-initiative
- Works in standard office conditions (at a desk and computer) and in classroom settings
- Works in more than one work site, with travel between the two required.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Info: Please visit our website www.mercycenterbronx.org
Main Office: 377 E. 145th St. Bronx, NY 10454
2nd Site: 332 E. 149th St., 8th Flr. Bronx, NY