Department: Adult Education
Reports to: Executive Director and Associate Executive Director
The Adult Education program offers ABE and HSE classes (English and Spanish), ESOL levels 1-6 classes with a general and a contextualized curriculum aiming at training opportunities in Health Careers and customer service skills. The program partners with other organizations to offer basic literacy in Spanish and in English, training and job opportunities as well as cultural programming. It services approximately 530 adults per year by offering instruction weekdays, weeknights and Saturdays.
The Director of Adult Education is responsible for managing all the education programming Union Settlement offers adults, including, but not limited to HSE (English and Spanish) and ESOL. Responsibilities include curriculum development, course evaluation and scheduling, budget preparation, fiscal management, supervision and staff development, record keeping, and reporting to funding agencies. The Director is a member of the agency’s senior management team and serves as a strategic partner in planning and implementing the future vision for the agency. The Director must be both a hands-on worker and an excellent manager.
- Direct and administer a program that meets the educational needs of adult participants.
- Supervise teachers and support staff.
- Develop, schedule, and supervise classes, projects and programs
- Direct all outreach to target populations and liaison with appropriate community and government agencies regarding adult education services provided by Union Settlement.
- Direct and initiate efforts to expand adult education programs for emerging populations.
- Review and evaluate delivery of services on an on-going basis. Direct all changes to improve service delivery and ensure program goals are being met.
- Ensure student records and files are maintained.
- Ensure all funding agency reports are submitted on time.
- Ensure all funding agency policies and procedures, as well as Union Settlement policies and procedures, are enforced and followed.
- Collaborate with Finance Department to create program budgets and fiscal controls. Adhere to all funding agency guidelines when expending funds.
- Collaborate with Development Department regarding grant proposals and fundraising opportunities.
- Define, measure, and evaluate program performance data.
- Create continuous improvement based on performance data.
- Train, supervise and motivate others to engage in appropriate performance management activities.
- Evaluate staff performance and identify areas of training needed. Collaborate with internal departments and external agencies to facilitate training.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director.
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field preferred.
- Strong bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency required. Oral communication skills in other languages such as French, desired.
- Significant experience managing adult education and/or training programs, with at least 5 years’ supervisory experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience teaching adults of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
- Knowledge of East Harlem community preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing adult education populations.
- An innovative and patient professional dedicated to serving adult education populations.
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents of the local East Harlem community
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Director of Adult Education in subject of e-mail.