Stamford, CT, US
Requisition ID: 1261
Literacy Volunteers is a community-based program that utilizes the services of trained volunteers to provide free, high quality education to adults for the purpose of enabling them to acquire the skills necessary to achieve personal/occupational goals. With the help of our dedicated volunteer tutors, Literacy Volunteers at Family Centers offers free English language instruction and basic literacy programs for adults and families in Greenwich/Stamford.
Incumbent is responsible for overall quality and integrity of the Literacy Volunteers program at Family Centers. He/she provides strong leadership in the development and delivery of the English language and literacy program goals and objectives. He/she oversees, develops, maintains and recommends program policies, procedures, activities, and program budgets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and evaluate program activities, curriculum and outcomes and develop plan to support, improve and enhance the program as needed.
- Supervise staff, volunteers, and tutors and oversee recruitment and retention efforts
- Assure accurate and timely collection and reporting of data as required by the federal government, Connecticut State Department of Education, and grants
- Closely monitor local state and federal policy that govern adult education and workforce development board
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelors’ degree required with Master’s degree in related field preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience in English Language Education
- Demonstrated classroom experience with adult learners
- Knowledge of standardized testing and ESOL assessment practices
- Knowledge of adult education principles, curriculum development, program evaluation techniques, workplace language skills and pathways to education and career transition.
- Grant administration experience
- Ability to relate to students of all ages, ethnic backgrounds and abilities
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively listen, facilitate meetings, guide others, manage and monitor projects and activities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Ability to work occasional evenings