Phipps Neighborhoods, New York City, NY
About Phipps Neighborhoods:
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
We developed a Community Impact model to maximize our ability to provide communities with the resources needed to increase opportunities, strengthen neighborhoods and transcend poverty. This model is marked by four key characteristics: targeted program areas, an integrated approach, a continuous improvement strategy and a geographic focus.
At the Crotona Park West Reading Room, we seek to have measurable impact in the lives of residents, offering them support toward their goals. We aim to promote kindergarten readiness, 3rd grade literacy, and family & community engagement. This effort is a pilot initiative of a larger collective impact initiative where we hope to boost academic success and economic opportunity community-wide.
This is a community-facing position, working directly with children and their parents or caregivers on a daily basis, maintaining productive partnerships and organizing events. Under the supervision of the Community Life Director at Crotona Park West, the Reading Room Manager will manage and grow an important family resource in the community. Work will include full supervision of the Reading Room, maintaining a safe literacy-rich environment, attracting new families to visit and offering high-quality programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop robust monthly calendar of activities to promote, health, school and career success and civic engagement among residents.
- Extensive outreach to residents to encourage participation in workshops, community events and other programming (Some evening and weekend events required).
- Planning and presenting weekly events including story times, sing-alongs, parent workshops and summer reading programs (Some evening and weekend events required).
- Collaborating with other staff and community programs to increase visitors.
- Assisting students and parents in finding information.
- Creating displays, outreach materials and social media presence for the Reading Room.
- Helping to develop fundraisers and find grant opportunities to purchase children’s materials.
- Exploring new initiatives to promote early childhood literacy.
- Procuring donated and purchased children’s books and other resources.
- Minimum of 60 college credits or an Associate’s degree. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in early childhood education, parenting education or related field.
- Facilitate positive interactions between young children and/or parents and caregivers of young children.
- Actively engage young children and/or parents and caregivers of young children in program offerings.
- Possess strong administrative and communication skills.
- Familiarity with Pre-K – 8 (grade) schools and social services in NYC. Experience working in the Bronx preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
How to apply:
In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered. Please forward your resume and cover letter to PNAdministration@phippsny.org with "Reading Room Manager" in the subject line.