Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Reports to: Program Director- YAES
East Side House (ESH) is a community-based organization in the South Bronx. ESH collaborates with schools, community centers and other partners to provide quality education and resources to residents of the South Bronx and surrounding communities.
Youth & Adult Education Services (YAES) focuses on education and career development for youth in Mott Haven and surrounding communities who have dropped out of school and/or possess minimal employment skills. YAES offers participants Pre-High School Equivalency (Pre-HSE) and High School Equivalency (HSE) test preparation, college readiness and placement, work readiness and placement.
Instructors are key members of the YAES staff inter-disciplinary team whose purpose is to provide comprehensive educational and social supports that enable students to meet their learning, educational and employment goals. Instructors play a key role in developing and implementing curriculum to ensure YAES students are fully prepared for the TASC test and develop a career pathway prior to entry into college and/or vocational training.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following key activities:
Under the immediate supervision of the YAES Director, the HSE Instructors are expected to work with two separate population of students (Pre-HSE and HSE) to improve their academic performance to the point where they are eligible to take, and pass the TASC test. Instructors are also responsible for ensuring students have a clear understanding of their next educational/career options and/or goals. HSE Instructors are expected to perform each essential duty of this position in a satisfactory manner. Key employee responsibilities include but are not restricted to those listed below
Class curriculum incorporating students’ relevant interest and learning needs
- Present comprehensive lessons in Literacy, or Mathematics, or Science; conduct in-class student conferencing to provide student feedback and support especially in independent reading
- Create relevant homework assignments; provide written and oral feedback to students on completed work
- Devise individualized instructional plans for students
- Engage in all activities aimed at enhancing student experience and education
- Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities
- Plan two educational trips per year (based on assigned subject area) that enhance students learning and adds context to education
Administer TABE, Readiness and Predictor assessments
- Meet with students to discuss the results of pre-and post-test scores; discuss progress with students on a weekly basis or more
Record vital student data i.e. attendance and assignments; monitor files for accuracy
- Prepare, document and maintain monthly narrative reports, daily lesson plans, student progress reports and evaluations
- Call absentee students on a daily basis to identify problems and/or re-engage in class
- Collect student work towards maintaining a portfolio/ assessing students’ ongoing progress
Implement and maintain best practices towards student success
- Participate in student orientations
- Represent YAES and ESH with funders and outside agencies in a variety of contexts (e.g. working groups, curriculum development, onsite visits, trainings, etc.)
- Participate in and present student education reports at YAES team conferences
- Other duties as assigned by Director
Professional Development and Team Planning Responsibilities
- Participate in staff development including peer assessments and observations
- Present in-services trainings to YAES staff annually (at minimum, one time per year).
- Participate in weekly and monthly YAES staff meetings
- Stay up-to-date about state and city Adult Lit/HSE standards
- Participate in activities to assess program quality and modifying/developing program instruction and service design as needed
- College Degree (B.A./B.S.) and at least two years of professional experience
- Proficiency in assigned subject area
- Two years’ experience working with youth/ young adults (16 -24 y.o.)
- Display strong understanding of Youth Development Principles and apply principles in all student interactions
- Knowledge and empathy for young adult population of striving learners
- Monday – Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule during trips, special events, and activities as required
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email only:
- Nancy Arzu, Human Resources Generalist
- East Side House Settlement
- 337 Alexander Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.