Duties: Provide contextualized ESOL instruction for workplace-literacy
Hostos Community College Adult Learning Center is seeking an experienced ESOL instructor to develop a contextualized ESOL curriculum for workplace instruction. The instructor will be responsible for daily classroom instruction, student assessment, and curriculum development. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching workplace literacy for students of English as a second language. The instructor will be responsible for creating a contextualized curriculum and lesson plans that are related to the needs of an off campus employer to help improve English language skills of ESOL students who desire to secure employment.
The mission of Eugenio María de Hostos Community College is to offer access to higher education leading to intellectual growth and socioeconomic mobility through the development of linguistic, mathematical, technological, and critical thinking proficiencies needed for lifelong learning and for success in a variety of programs including careers, liberal arts, transfer, and those professional programs leading to licensure. This mission is manifested in all of the college’s offerings. Hostos Community College is committed to serving populations that encounter significant barriers to higher education and training.
- Deliver effective instruction that develops and utilizes an array of instructional techniques to assist students/employees in building language and literacy.
- Utilize effective instructional techniques to create a learning environment that consistently and continually communicates high standards and draws on content of a relevant theme-based curriculum and customized for the World of Work.
- Employ teaching strategies that will advance employee’s level of content knowledge and connect learning to the achievement of employee’s goals.
- Administer standardize and informal assessments.
- Complete administrative reports that assess and summarize employee’s participation, educational progress and gain, as well as needs to successfully complete program.
- Participate in curriculum planning and professional development activities.
- BA required. MA preferred.
- Experience teaching ES0L.
- Experience developing thematic-based/ contextualized curricula a must.
- Best Plus Certified a plus
Evening classes. The class will run twice a week for a 3 to 4 month period.
Darryl E. Rogers
Adult Learning Center
Department of Adult and Continuing Education
560 Exterior Street
Bronx, New York 10451
Tel: (718) 319-7931
Fax: (718) 518 – 6744