Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
We developed a Community Impact model to maximize our ability to provide communities with the resources needed to increase opportunities, strengthen neighborhoods and transcend poverty. This model is marked by four key characteristics: targeted program areas, an integrated approach, a continuous improvement strategy and a geographic focus.
Our work is focused on impact and we are committed to ensuring our programs have real results. Measuring outcomes is a fundamental part of how we work. Through our centralized database, we track individual participants across multiple programs, ensuring they have all the resources they need to be self-sufficient. At the same time, we analyze our program management and our impact on participants so we can make adjustments and optimize in real time.
The SONYC Program Director will work closely with the Community School Director to create a dynamic SONYC after school program utilizing youth development best practices and principles in conducting Academic Enrichment, Project Based Learning, Arts and Physical Education activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the support of the Community School Director, design, develop and support an after school program for students.
- Work closely with the Community School Director and Administrative Assistant to organize program logistics, such as schedules, space reservations, resources needed, etc.
- Assist the Community School Director and Administrative Assistant with the creation of a monthly newsletter for families, school administration, and stakeholders.
- Attend school administration meetings and work closely with teachers and staff to develop after school programming.
- Help collect and organize data to determine appropriate staff ratios in accordance with DOH regulations, generate reports, and to maintain attendance and activity records.
- Meet all contractual obligations, specifically in the area of enrollment and rate of participation.
- Work closely with the Community School Director and Group Leaders to establish a common language and vision that speaks to our purpose in the community and the impact we aim to make.
- Coordinate a team of Group Leaders; each group leader is responsible for a cohort of students/activities.
- Work closely with families, parents, and guardians to ensure the needs of students are met.
- Create a strong sense of community which values respect, acceptance, and high expectations.
- Perform other duties and tasks as deemed necessary by the Community School Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
- Must have previous experience working in a DYCD (NYC Dept. of Youth & Community Development) program.
- At least 2 yrs. experience in a youth development role; experience working with middle school students a plus.
- Strong organizational skills required; excellent time management skills with the proven ability to work with multiple deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Keen problem solving skills and excellent computer skills including; PC environment and the use of Microsoft Office suite, including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to multitask; work across a variety of projects and with diverse populations.
- Team player excited about the opportunity to work in an environment dedicated to the development and growth of youth.
- Some weekend work related to special events and meetings may be required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish speaking) preferred.
- Enthusiasm, creativity and initiative.
- A sense of humor and a sense of urgency!
How to apply:
Please apply online via the job portal on our Careers page or by accessing the link below. In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements.