YABC is a small, academically rigorous, full-time New York City Department of Education program designed to re-engage high school students who are over-age and under-credited or have dropped out of high school. East Side House, Inc. is directly responsible for the administration of the program’s Learning-to-Work Program, which enhances the academic component by offering additional academic support, career and education exploration, work preparation, skills development, and internships.
Under the supervision of the Program Director with latitude for independent judgment, the advisor will be responsible to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and ability required, but are not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct intake interviews with students and family members.
- Meet with students in a group setting and individually to assist them in their academic, career and personal goals.
- Conduct daily attendance outreach and home visits as necessary.
- Facilitate group advisory and enrichment group sessions two times per week.
- Consult with teachers and provide feedback to students on academic performance using a biweekly assessment.
- Maintain student charts and records to ensure milestones are being met.
- Refer students to academic and support services as needed.
- Arrange field trips, special events and extracurricular club activities.
- Attend administrative meetings, program trainings and staff development.
- Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities as assigned via East Side House Community Development.
- Maintain flexible hours and work days for field trips and events. Some weekends required.
- B.A/ B.S.W. with at least two years experience with youth-related work.
- Knowledge of New York City High School requirements.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, communication, organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment and multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community service/ development.
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Word and other applications.
- Some evening and weekends required.
Work Schedule: Fall and Spring Schedule: Monday – Thursday 1pm – 9:00pm and Friday 9am-5pm; Summer Schedule: Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm; Flexibility a Must; Some Weekends Required.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
Peyton Craig, Program Director
East Side House Settlement
337 Alexander Avenue
Bronx, NY 10454
Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS!